When Karl Marx was challenged to explain how his theories would work in practice, he refused, retorting that he did not want to be the chef in tomorrow’s kitchen.
Same with Brexit. Prosperity will be achieved by sovereignty and freedom and leaving the control of the evil European Union. But even today, when we already left the European Union, we have no idea how all that freedom will translate into prosperity.
When making investments, we ask for a prospectus, telling us what may happen if we invest. Where is the prospectus for Brexit? I only know of one document, IEA’s “Plan A+: Creating a prosperous post-Brexit UK”.
Can someone please tell me how to get to the sunny uplands?
When ideology drives countries, evil results. Half a millennium ago, when we had the reformation and the counterreformation, both promised sunny uplands. Neither delivered. Tens, even hundreds of millions of people lost their lives, and Europe was devastated. Both lost.
Karl Marx promised sunny uplands. His followers killed hundreds of millions of people and did not find Marx’s utopia.
I am with Erasmus, John Stuart Mill and Karl Popper in rejecting the ideologically driven extremism of the Brexiters.
They can’t even tell us how Brexit will be a success.
- 2021-10-01 The logical fallacy at the heart of the intellectual case for Brexit;
- 2021-01-11 Erasmus and Turing;
- 2021-01-03 Brexit and Marxism;
- 2019-05-04 The Brexit culture war;
- 2017-02-23 Systemic consequences of Brexit;
- 2016-04-18 Will Brexit give us the 1950s or Hong Kong;
- 2016-04-16 Brexit and regulations.